Women are looking all over the world for beauty secrets from other cultures and rice water is one of them. This ancient asian secret is one of the most popular beauty ingredients in many skin care products and has been used for centuries as a magic potion to improve various skin conditions, as well as for skin and hair health.
Adding it to your personal care routine will improve the health of your skin and hair in the most natural and chemical-free way.
What is it
Rice water is the starchy water left over after cooking rice or the water in which rice is soaked. According to dermatologists and various researchers, rice water is rich in minerals and vitamins, takes care of hair health, tones and brightens the skin, but is also an effective anti-aging ingredient.
It is also an effective treatment for improving digestion and regulating your gut microbiome. It is a natural electrolyte for summer and can be added to various drinks to replenish lost nutrients.
Let’s learn more about the benefits of rice, how to use it effectively on our face and hair and how to make rice water at home.
Rice water properties
Rice water has many ingredients with nutritional value for skin and hair. About 16% of these are proteins, the building blocks necessary for cell health.
- It is an antioxidant
It is full in antioxidants such as γ-oryzanol, tocopherols, tocotrienols, phenolic acids, carotenoids, polysaccharides, phytosterols, which increase cellular immunity and protect your skin from oxidative stress
- Improves skin tone
Rice water is known to lighten skin tone. It also has the ability to improve damaged skin from the sun, as well as hyperpigmentation.
- It has anti-aging properties
It is an effective natural anti-aging ingredient as it stimulates collagen synthesis and reduces transdermal water loss, wrinkles and loose skin. Rice water contains phytic acid, which helps protect your skin from free radicals, and ferulic acid, which slows down the aging process.
Another study conducted on 12 volunteers who used rice gel on their skin for 28 days concluded that it has a similar effect to ascorbic acid (vitamin C) on aging skin.(1)
- Moisturizes dry skin
The study mentioned above also showed that there was a 10% increase in cellular hydration levels experienced by all volunteers at day 28.(1)
According to another study, moisturizers containing rice extract are known to increase hydration by inhibiting the evaporation of moisture from skin cells. A great example is XXXXXXXX
- Stimulates hair growth
Research suggests that the components of linoleic acid and γ-oryzanol in rice bran promote hair growth by pushing hair follicles into the anagen stage, which is known as the active growth phase in the hair growth cycle.(2)
The study concluded that rice extract is an effective natural ingredient to prevent hair loss and promote hair growth.
- Improves gut health
It is well known that the state of our digestion is reflected in our skin. Research shows that drinking rice water balances stomach irregularities and improves digestion, thereby promoting good skin and shiny hair. (3)
Rice water on the face
Rice water is said to be an inexpensive and effective beauty balm to cleanse, tone and lighten hyperpigmentation, remove sun spots and age spots. It’s also good for acne, reducing redness and blemishes, while the starch in the water is said to soothe eczema inflammation.
How to use rice water for skin care
- Wash your face using rice water.
- Apply rice water with a cotton pad as a toner after cleansing.
- Spray rice water on the face after pouring it into a spray bottle.
Rice contains natural antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin A, and phenolic and flavonoid compounds, which may minimize free radical damage from age, sun exposure, and the environment.
How to use rice water on hair
- For a basic rice water mix, measure out an equal ratio of cups of rice to water. Start with 2:2, then increase or decrease depending on hair length and density.
- Pour the rice and water into a bowl, mixing gently with clean fingers.
- After about 30-45 minutes and occasional stirring, the water should be a cloudy white color. Drain and discard the rice grains, keeping only the water.
- Shampoo your hair and rinse.
- Slowly pour the rice water into the hair, massaging the scalp from roots to ends. Let it soak for 15 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
How to make rice water
Prepare the rice water: Choose any type of rice. Then pour water over the rice and shake the water to remove dirt. Drain the rice and return it to the empty bowl. Repeat the process another time.
You can make rice water by boiling rice, soaking rice, or fermenting soaked rice. The type you choose will depend on how much time you have and how you want to use the rice water.
- Boiling the rice will create a concentrated batch of rice water, so it is stronger. You will need to mix it with clean water before using it.
- Soaking the rice is the simplest method because you have fewer steps and you don’t have to watch the rice while it is soaking.
- Fermenting rice takes the most time, but the fermentation process brings out more vitamins and nutrients.
Face mask with rice water
An easy recipe with rice water is a fresh face mask with rice water, banana and honey. Banana is full of antioxidants, minerals, vitamins A and C. It reduces inflammation like acne and eczema and helps to hydrate the skin.
Honey is a natural antibacterial. For this reason, it is excellent for the treatment and prevention of acne. It is also moisturizing and soothing.
- A few slices of banana
- 2 tablespoons of boiled rice water
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Mash the banana slices with the 2 tbsp (cold) boiled rice water.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of honey and mix all the ingredients.
- Apply the mixture on a clean face and keep it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with water and enjoy the benefits!